Lyon, France

Wednesday, July 11, 2012


Chers tous,
 
Happy Independence Day and Happy July, one and all~~~!  My fourth was wonderful.  The highlight was eating a magnum bar and being able to stand in front of a big wire fence and watch the awesome fireworks show from a good, safe distance.  It's strange that this is my last 4th of July before the holiday of Independence becomes the 14th of July, Bastille Day!
 
So some great stuff happened this week.  I got my first MTC haircut.  I've that there is more wisdom to the Samson and Delilah story than meets the eye.  I have always had a fear of letting any but dad or maybe Grammy Kunzler cut my hair.  I learned that that is a very good instinct of mine.  Haha, I exaggerate, Delilah didn't take TOO much off... just enough to destory my strength and dissolve my self-confidence.  Also, everyone in the district has been gettting sick in the last couple of weeks, but I (thanks to Aunt Karen's secret goldenseal potion) have been immune!  They should sell that stuff on an infomerical.
 
I haven't told you much about the MTC culture, other than the fact that it is like Disneyland.  I used the Disneyland analogy, which I think fits well, but I didn't go into much detail.  Disneyland is full of so much joy, togetherness, unity, excitement and wonder... people come from all corners of the earth to enjoy in it's wonderful atmosphere.  And that's the way the MTC is... but there's also that part of Disneyland that is just weird, if you think about it.  The MTC also has that!  Hm, let me think of an example.  So, there are people who come from far and wide, they come to serve the Lord and to work hard.  There are plenty of foreigners in my residence hall, people from Oriental countries, New Zealand, Britain, Pacific Islands, etc.  All are dedicated workers with good hearts and cool perspectives.  There is one Elder from Japan who I always see on my P-Day clad in a plain white T-Shirt that says "Go To Lucky".  I honestly can't tell you what the meaning of this is, but it must mean something to him.  Maybe it is a motivational T-Shirt, and his nickname (or real name) is Lucky, as in "Go To, Lucky!"  Or maybe he comes from a place called Lucky and he is advertising his native land.  Who knows.
 
The MTC is such a great place!  I'm truly enjoying my stay here.  I'm learning a lot.  French is coming, slowly, but surely.  The Spirit is here and it is an excellent environment to study and learn.  One of my favorite things about the MTC is TRC.  It is something we all do once a week, where we go and teach a prepared lesson to a member who is fluent in French.  It was pretty scary the first few times doing it, but now I look forward to it.  The people are always really kind and they love hearing what the missionaries have to say.  There is one man who Elder Wilson and I have taught a couple of times who stops us mid-sentence every time we mispronounce a word or don't conjugate it correctly.  I'm grateful that he is concerned.  Better now than in France.  There is a lady from somewhere in Europe who wears little mittens and she always has this glow about her.  She spends the first 10 minutes (of our 20 minute time period)  finding out about families and past.  I love to converse!  She told us to be diligent in making our beds and then we shared a message with her about church attendance.  I have found that my French comprehension has grown in the last couple weeks.  I can basically understand the main jist of EVERYthing when one is speaking in French.  That's probably just because everyone is talking really slow.  I shouldn't let it get to my head, because I know that once I get to France it will be a different story, but I think there is some improvement!
 
Quickly, I want to tell you about another cool thing that I've been doing.  Each companionship gets to take the role of an investigator and be taught by another companionship.  I LOVE THIS.  I love being an investigator because you get a perspective that you don't have when you're the one teaching the lessons.  I've learned a lot from this and made some adjustments to my teaching based on the things that I've learned. Like I said earlier, the MTC is such a killer place to learn and to prepare for real missionary work.  I'm really grateful for the time that I've here and that I have a couple more weeks to learn as much as I can before SOUTHERN FRANCE.
 
I know that our Heavenly Father answers prayers.  I know that if we humbly get on our knees and communicate with our Father, God and Creator, he will hear us.  He will answer our questions.  He will give us his perfect love.  He will be there.  I know this because I have done so and I have felt so and there is no denying the things that I have received from his gracious hand.  I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer and the Savior and Redeemer of the whole world.  I love you all, family and friends!  Have an excellent, summery week!
 
Avec l'amour,
 
Elder Kunzler

No comments:

Post a Comment