Lyon, France

Monday, September 16, 2013

Et il n'y avait point de méchanceté parmi eux


Me and my pal Elder L'homel.

Dearest family and friends,
I have some good news and I have some even better news.  The good news is that we got our transfer calls and Elder Powell and I will be staying together in Dijon, at least until the end of October!  Dreams come true.  The better news.  Hm.  I didn't actually have anything in mind when I wrote that, it just sounds better than just saying you only have good news.
Young Ruffians (Elder L'homel and I)

The mission is changing!  About a year ago the prophet announced in general conference that missionaries would be able to leave at a younger age.  A year later, when we really see the effects of that, it is stunning!  Little James is now in the MTC preparing to serve the Lord with all his soul.  20 young men are coming into the mission tomorrow to serve the Lord with all their souls.  I am currently the District Leader in a district in which Elder Powell and I are the only Elders.  5 companionships of Sisters and 1 companionship of Elders.  We're feeling strongly outnumbered.  It is amazing to see how the Lord is hastening his work!  In other news, my last companion, Elder Johnson is going to be serving on the island of Corsica, the first American missionary there in ages... literally... years and years.

The Dijon gang
I don't recall how much I've told you all about Dijon, but I'm going to take this opportunity to tell you just a tad more about the place where I'm serving.  Dijon is the further north in the mission that you can get.  It is also currently the coldest and rainiest, which I don't mind at all.  It is technically in the Northeast of France, only 2 hours from Paris by train.  It is the cleanest and the best preserved of all the cities I've served in.  The people in the north are just a tad bit like their weather, a tiny bit colder, but they're great, like all French people.
What missionary work does to cheap French shoes!
This last week had its ups and its downs.  Elder Powell and I have been a little bit disappointed in our ami Regis.  He has so much potential.  He is really intelligent, asks excellent questions, has great faith and understanding, says he knows its true.  But he is not bringing forth the fruits.  He still has yet to come to church, even though he says that he is going to every time.  He used my bad handwriting as an excuse to not read the chapter that we gave him in the Book of Mormon.  We really want him to progress because we know the happiness that it will mean for him and his family, but in the end it is his choice, he has to but his foot forward.
Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
Nevertheless (néanmoins), there was a pretty cool miracle that took place, resulting from our diligence in trying to help Regis come unto Christ.  On our way to Regis' apartment, Elder Powell and I contacted a woman who was with her kids, we talked to her for a minute about our message and did our best to help her feel the love of Christ.  She was very kind and said that we are doing is great, but didn't want to learn more or exchange numbers, so I just left her with a card with our number.  Then, in our appointment with Regis, she tried calling me twice, but I wasn't able to respond.  I tried calling after the rendezvous, but she didn't respond.  Then the following day, we were doing some missionary work with an excellent recent convert.  We had just passed by a lady who told us to come back, but she wasn't at home.  A little bit disappointed, the thought came into my mind that I needed to try calling that woman again.  I called and she answered.  She said that she had some questions that she would like to ask and that we could come over right away.  We went to her apartment with this member, and she immediately just started firing questions.  About the after-life, how she can better raise her children, how she can increase her faith, etc.  We had to tell her to hold the horses a little and we prayed and tried to get to know her situation a little bit better.  We found out that she had just gone through a tough divorce and that she had gone through a lot of suffering.  We didn't teach much, but we just testified and the member we were with was PERFECT.  She prayed at the end and felt the Spirit very strongly.  She said that she left like sa vide a été comblée, her emptiness had been filled.  She said that she wishes to be baptized and will be baptized at the end of next month.  She also said that she wants her daughter to get baptized next year when she turns 8. :)  We are very happy that we were able to be tools in the Lords hands that even to extend the comfort and peace of the Lord to this woman.  Her name is Flora and she is of Indian origin.
Bruno is progressing well and so is Roland.  I don't have the time to tell you about their progression, so you'll just have to believe me! :)
I love you more that dragons love the fire that comes out of their nostrils!  Have an excellent week and stay close to the Lord!  I know that He lives and that he loves all of His sheep!
Avec amour,

Elder Kunzler
Drinking from les Bains (the baths) muahaha

My planner cover with 2 Cor 12:7 written on it



No comments:

Post a Comment